Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK)
The new HSK(Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) is an international standardized exam that tests and rates Chinese language proficiency. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using the Chinese language in their daily, academic and professional lives.
HSK consists of six levels, namely the HSK (level I), HSK (level II), HSK (level III), HSK (level IV), HSK (level V), and HSK (level VI).
The HSKK (Hanyu Shuiping Kouyu Kaoshi) Speaking Test assesses the test takers’ ability to express themselves in oral Chinese.HSKK can be divided into three levels of HSKK (Beginner), HSKK (Intermediate and HSKK (Advanced). Test takers on-site performance will be recorded.
The new YCT test was launched by Hanban in an effort to encourage foreign young students to learn Chinese and improve their Chinese language proficiency. As part of this effort, since 2004 Hanban has organized experts from different disciplines such as Chinese language teaching, linguistics, psychology and educational measurement to work on the program, conducting surveys in order to understand the latest trends in overseas Chinese language teaching and learning.
Online Chinese Test - Home Edition
|Test Category (Online test at home)||Test Date||Registration Deadline|
|HSK||March 13, 2021||March 3, 2021|
|HSKK||April 24, 2021||April 14, 2021|
|YCT||June 5, 2021||May 26, 2021|
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic situation, in order to limit the spread of the epidemic, and to ensure the safety of every staff and test taker, some overseas test centers have postponed or cancelled Chinese tests. In order to meet the needs of Chinese language learners, the Chinese Testing International Co., Ltd. (CTI) have decided to launch the Online Chinese Test (Home Edition), to help students complete HSK exams at home, with remote monitoring from test centers.
- Necessarily access to a computer with required software and internet access.
- Necessarily access to a room that meets all requirements of the test.
- Adherence to testing rules of Online Chinese Test (HomeEdition).
- Completethe test registration on chinesetest.cn and obtain an admission ticket for one of the above test dates.
1. Confirm equipment and surroundings meet the requirements
Before registering for the exam, please confirm that your computer, software configuration, network and room meet test requirements:
Computer: Windows (7/8/10) operating system, recommended screen resolution setting is 1440*900 and above (the minimum setting is 1366*768 and above)
Software: Download and install the client software of Online Chinese Test (Home Edition)
Network: Internet speed 100KB/s and above
Camera: HD (more than 300,000 pixels). The room should also be well-lit and the camera unobstructed
Headphones: Clear with good sound insulation
Microphone (for HSKK): Clear recording with no noise.
(Website for equipment detecting for test taker: https://test.chinesetest.cn:36165/check)
Examination environment: The test should be taken in a safe and closed room with no disturbances. It is forbidden to take the test in public areas such as parks, internet cafes, restaurants, etc. Computers and keyboards must be placed on a desk or table. No one else is allowed to enter or leave the room during the test. There must not be any prohibited items in the testing room.
- Scribbled notes on paper or electronic equipment is NOT needed duringthe Online Chinese Test (Home Edition). Copying and recording any part of the exam with paper or electronic equipment is prohibited.
- To ensure the safety and smoothness of test, CTI or the local test center may need to collect test-related information from you, including: name, photo, ID, audio and video records taken during the test. We will only use personal information permitted by law, for purposes such as maintaining exam security.
2. Registration and payment
Registration online or at the site of test center are both applicable.
- Registration online: Please visit www.chinesetest.cn, register for a new account and complete the online test registration, make the payment online or through help from your test center.
- Registration at the testcenter: Those who have difficulties with registration online may reach out to your test center.
Electronic photo is required for HSK and HSKK according to the test regulation, and requests on photo are as follow:
- Test taker’s recent photo (within 6 months to the test dates) for identification (in a standard, two-inch form), and photos of daily life or landscape will not be accepted;
- No hat, scarf, headband or sunglasses are allowed to appear (except for special religiousreasons);
- Both black-and-white and color photos are acceptable, and a white background is
3. Test fee
Test fee for HSK and HSKK differs in different countries and regions according to policies and currency exchange rates, please refer to the local test center.
4. Registration confirmation and admission ticket
After registration and payment, test taker will be able to inquire and print admission ticket online in www.chinesetest.cn 3 days before the test.
Please confirm your personal information, including name, nationality, gender, ID type and number etc., together with test level, test date and beginning time, test center and test instructions on your admission ticket.
1. Admission time
You can log in to the system up to 30 minutes before the test starts. Please log in no later than 10 minutes before the start time. Test takers showing up late because of personal reasons, equipment or network issues will not be given extra time or make-up test.
2. Login to the examination system
Open the client software of Online Chinese Test (Home Edition).
3. Equipment and environment testing
Candidates who are judged to be unqualified on the test day cannot take the test. Candidates are required to switch off mobile phone, MP3s, etc. and have no access to any prohibited items during the exam.
4. Read and agree the test rules5. Enter the test
Enter the test by typing in the admission ticket number and password – a countdown will begin.
All listed regulations on " Measures for Disciplinary Violations in the Chinese Tests" are applicable to the Online Chinese Test (Home Edition), CTI and the local test centers maintain rights of accountability after the test.2. Missing the test and abnormities
If the test taker fails to take or complete the test on the test day due to the reasons not caused by the test organizer, the responsibility shall be borne by the test taker. The test fee will not be refunded.
- HSK test results will be announced 10 days after the test, and the HSKK 25 days. Test taker will be able to inquire the test result on the testwebsite (chinesetest.cn) with admission ticket number and name.
- Score report can be applied through “extra score report” service online by test takers themselves in their personal information center and send to the individuals or institutions.
Take a test at our center (postponed)
Please note that the in-person tests are postponed due to the COVID pandemic. If you are interested in taking a test, please refer to the Online test information or stay tuned for further notice.
HSK Registration Process
Log into the website: www.chinesetest.cn
- Register to become a user
- Register the test
- Fill in personal information
- Upload a photo
- Confirm the registration information
- Pay for the test (in arts 205,Confucius Institute office)
- Receive the test registration confirmation and print the admission ticket
Requirements for the photo are applicable mainly to HSK Levels 4-6, HSKK, BCT and YCT oral test, and the test score report for other levels does not carry a photo.
Preparation for the photo and its usage should meet the following requirements:
Format requirements for the photo:
- Test takers’ recent photo for identification (in a standard, two-inch form), and photos of daily life or landscape will not be accepted;
- No hat, scarf, headband or sunglasses are allowed to appear (except for special religious reasons);
- Both black-and-white and color photos are acceptable, and a white background is preferred.
To submit the photo, test takers may either log into the Chinese testing service website and upload the electronic photo in line with guidance from the website or bring the photo to teachers at the test center responsible for the registration and ask them to assist with the uploading.
Information on the test admission ticket includes test takers’ name, nationality, gender, type and number of the identity certificate, test subject, test time, test center, test location and test rules, etc.
After receiving the test admission ticket, test takers shall carefully check the accuracy of the information on it item by item. Such information as test takers’ name, gender, date of birth and identification number must be identical with that on his/her valid identity certificate; otherwise he/she will not be allowed to take the test.
If any incorrect information is found, please contact the test center to make appropriate modification; otherwise test takers’ test results will become invalid.
The test admission ticket is an important proof that test takers has got the admission to the test, and those who do not carry a test admission ticket will not be admitted to the test room to take the test. After the test, test takers shall still keep their test admission ticket, which will be required before the receipt of the score report. To view the test results online or enjoying such value-added service as applying for an additional score report, test takers also need to provide the number of his/her test admission ticket no..
After the registration and payment, test takers can apply to change the test date within the stipulated time, but cannot cancel the registered test; neither can the registered test center nor test level be changed.
To change the test date, test takers need to log into the Chinese testing service website (www.chinesetest.cn) and enter the Personal Center to make an application. The new test date shall be one at the same level and test center in the same year.
Deadline and charges for changing the test date are as follows:
• Before the registration deadline (including the deadline): test takers can change the test date for free.
• Between the registration deadline and 10 days before the test (including the 10th day): test takers need to pay an amount equal to 30% of the test fee before they can apply for the change during this period.
• Within 10 days before the test (excluding the 10th day): No application for changes of this kind will be accepted.
For test takers to take the internet-based test, the valid period for changing the test date for free is 27 days before the test, and other relevant rules are the same with the paper-based test.
1. Articles Carried for the test
On the test date, test takers must bring the following articles to the test room:
- Test admission ticket;
- Identity certificate (copies are invalid) which is authentic, valid, identical with the registration information and carries a photo;
- 2B pencils (two or more) and eraser, in the event that it is a paper-based test.
Other personal articles of test takers cannot be carried with them during the test but shall be placed in the depository or place designated by the test examiner. Do not bring any valuables to the test room; otherwise no compensation will be made for the loss.
Test takers who are unable to present the valid identity certificate and test admission ticket will not be permitted to take the test, nor will the test fee be refunded.
2. Time of admission
Test takers shall arrive at the exam room half an hour before the start of the test, so as to avoid being late. After the admission, no test takers could allowed to leave the test room until the end of the Listening part.
Paper-based test: Before the start of the Listening part, late test takers can enter the test room and take the test; after the Listening part has started, late test takers have to wait till its end before entering the test room to work on the Reading part, with no extra time added to make up for the delay; after the start of the Reading part, late test takers are not allowed to enter the test room to take the test.
Oral test: Before the start of the recording, late test takers can enter the test room and take the test; but after the recording has started, late test takers are not allowed to enter the test room to take the test.
3. Test Methods
(1) Test takers shall take the test in line with the arrangements and instructions of the examiner(s).
(2) All the answers shall be provided by filling in the answer sheet with a 2B pencil.
(3) Answering of the oral test shall be in the form of live recording, and test takers shall complete the test with their own recording device separately in line with the instructions and arrangements by the examiner(s).
(4) The internet-based test is a paperless exam, which requires test takers to answer via mouse and keyboard, and the test duration is subject to automatic timing.
4. Test regulations
(1) Test takers must sit in the assigned seats and have no right to choose seats.
(2) Test takers must follow instructions of the examiner(s), observe the test rules, and independently complete various parts of the test.
(3) No break will be set during the test. If, due to any special reason, test takers need to leave the exam room halfway, he/she shall first obtain the consent of the examiner(s) and then submit his/her test admission certificate and identity certificate to the examiner(s) before leaving the exam room. After his/her return, the examiner(s) will give back the test admission ticket and identity certificate.
(4) In the oral test, no test takers shall temporarily leave the room. If any test takers has to leave, then the departure means to withdraw from the test.
5. Handling of emergencies
(1) In case of any unfair treatment of test takers due to mismanagement of the test room, such as insufficient test time and damage to the paper or test equipment, which makes test takers unable to complete the test, the Chinese Testing International will make timely arrangements for a new, free test for him/her, but it will not assume any indirect loss and the test site cannot be changed.
(2) In case of any force majeure, such as a natural disaster or accident, which makes test takers unable to complete the test, the Chinese Testing International will make timely arrangements for a new, free test for him/her or fully refund the test fee to him/her, but it will not assume any indirect loss
6. Absence from the test
If test takers fail to take the test on the test date due to certain reason that is not attributable to the test organizer, no test fee will be refunded.
7. Violations and penalties
Test takers shall not open the paper in advance or write down the answer out of the right answering area, neither shall they tear, replace, copy the paper, nor take the paper or the answer sheet outside the test room. In case of any of such acts as cheat, substitution of the test taker, plagiarism, smuggled material, or disobedience to instructions of the examiner(s), the test results will be canceled.
One month after taking the test, test takers can log into the Chinese testing service website (www.chinesetest.cn) and enter his/her test admission ticket number as well as name to view the test scores.
2. Score report
The printed official test score reports will be delivered to the test center within 2 months after the test date, and test takers can get it there by presenting their test admission tickets.
3. Validity period of score report
The test result is a long term available, but the score report to be used for the application to Chinese universities and colleges is valid within two years (from the test date).
1. Delivery of an additional score report
For the purpose of helping test takers present their score reports of the Chinese test as a proof of their Chinese proficiency for college application, graduation, recruitment, promotion, etc., it’s available for test takers to apply for the delivery of an additional score reports via the Chinese testing service website (www.chinesetest.cn). For details of the application forms and fees, please visit the Chinese testing service website (www.chinesetest.cn).
2. Modification of the score report
The HSK score report serves as an important proof of test takers’ Chinese proficiency. In view that some test takers may fail to carefully check the information as required during their registration online or at the test center or fail to carefully check the registration confirmation or the test admission ticket after the completion of the test registration, which may lead to discrepancy between the personal information on the score report and the real information, the Chinese testing service website (www.chinesetest.cn), in order to ensure the normal use of the report, allows test takers to apply for the modification of the score report.
Requirements for test takers’ application to modify the score report:
(1) An application to modify the information is limited to the following situations:
• Misspelling of the name
• Error of the nationality information
• Error of the gender information
(2) Test takers must provide the relevant supporting certificates, such as his/her passport and identity card.
(3) The application shall be filed within the validity period of the test results report (i.e., within two years after the end of the test).
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.